Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

ALL, in 24hrs

It was the time when I was interning with Castrol. I picked up a novel of my favorite love author Niholas Sparks. I have read many of his books and I love the way he paints the picture, gradually, beautifully, of the characters and sensitively introduces different issues. The stories he writes are amazingly different than the run of the mill stories we see in movies. Now, I’m not an avid love story reader. But I love this author’s style more than love stories. Then be it any story.

No, this is not a book review, not even anything close to that. Read on.

So, on this late Sunday eve, I started reading this novel- “the lucky one”. Totally engrossed, never felt like giving it up. Read till about 2am at night. But had to give up, since I had market visits in central Bombay (sion, gtb nagar) the next day. And these visits used to be kinda demanding, since it was summer, one; and two, it involved too much interactions with mechanics- who had better things to get frustrated in life than answering to some questions thrown at them by a summer trainee :D :P

Woke up at about 7am, again started reading. Got ready. And by 10:30am I was on the streets of central Mumbai, under sun, and in fronta mechanics- who were staring at me with great irritation :P Having done with the visit, came back home by about 4pm and again started reading the novel, by this time it was getting damn interesting!

Ok, reading on….. finished it by about 7-7:15pm. and this was only second time in life that I had completed reading a novel in just one day, infact even lesser than that! I generally take atleast 2 days or 3 days to finish one. Just 1 day was an achievement for me :P

Then took up a newspaper, which was a routine read. Flipping pages, reading only headlines outta laziness (laziness outta happiness of having finished reading a book in one day), was surprised to *discover* that the movie based on the same novel HAS BEEN released ! :O :D Oh that was an electrifying feeling! Aaaaand I decided to watch it! It was running in Sterling theatre at CST, 8.30pm.

I thought it’d be useless to ask anyone to accompany me, since nobody knows Nicholas Sparks and nobody reads his novel (except for a senior of mine in JBIMS). I went alone! Bought the ticket. Took a Sub. Went to the hall. Found my seat. And enjoyed the book, which I read just minutes back, being played in fronta me. As always, it felt that the book was better. In a movie, they obviously have to curb many things, which kinda tweaks the entire plot around the characters. But I could see the characters, just like I had imagined while reading. The sets, just like portrayed in the description. The story, a bit compressed but nonetheless nicely elaborated in movie form.

I know, you’d think that people *do read novels* and *do watch movies* based on them. BIG DEAL!? Hehe :P … but normally there is a huge time difference between two activities and seldom it happens that the movie IS in theatres right when you finish the book! Hence, why I consider this as different and treasurable is obvious.

Tell me-
How often does it happen that—> 1.you read a book + 2.watch a movie based on that book “IN THEATRE” + 3.all this within a span of *24hrs* ! It’s sure a rarity !

Goodnight/day!