Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Me and MYthology !

It dates back to days when I was in 8th, (some 6-7yrs back). I decided to have a mention of this in my blog cos I really feel its very very hilarious but took hell outta me!

There was a G.K. Quiz Competition (General Knowledge in case u dont've GK :P)scheduled in our School in coming week then.
The teams were to contain 1 player, from 8th 9th 10th each !

Selections began. Some guys had to prove themselves while some were chosen based on their academic performances. (I belonged to the 2nd case). Our teachers dint have enuf G.K. to understand at least that “all good-at-academics-students" needn’t be good at G.K. and that too ME?, worst choice they ever made!

Like most of the schools, our school had 4 houses.
And unlike all other schools, their names were Venus, Mercury, Jupiter and Pluto.

I was 8th Std candidate from Venus house. :)

I admit right here, then, I had worst of GK one cud have!
I din even kno who was first PM of India ! ? but then my seniors said that we shudn expect such easy questions! ?I was left spellbound. Dint kno how to take back my name, thousand thoughts crossed my mind.
I thought of bunking the school on the Quiz day, or to ask Ma’am to take somebody else (showing some sense o responsibility towards betterment of the Venus house)as I wasn’t really the suitable candidate. All reasons, from vague to reasonable, crossed my mind, but finally like a stupid fellow, I decided to ‘study’ for it. (does anybody ‘study’ for a GK quiz????)(that too say 4 days befor!!!) I did!

Came home, my aunt had come to meet mom. She had my cousin’s schoolbag with her for some reasons, I casually opened the bag and found this book called “Cadbury's Bournvita Book of India".

Those days, there was this show very very famous, called- The Bournvita Quiz Contest on Zee TV hosted by Derek O'Brien..
The book was won by my cousin after answering some questions the show asked the tv-audience :) After going thru the book i thot it 'might' be of some help for pre-quiz preparation. So i took it...

I studied it thoroughly. ‘Studied’ means, ‘Read’ questions, then turned the pages for the ‘answers’!

Finally THE day came, we were all invited over the stage where the furniture was set for 4 houses’ representatives (for the quiz) (supposedly with very good GK).
We were made to give our introduction. Name-House-Class-Division in that order.
Venus team had me, a Captain from 9th Std and a Guy from 10th.


It started.
There were four rounds!
I really don’t remember the names, but all I do remember is we were worst till fourth round started. Venus stood in the last position, 10 marks behind the third position.
The 4th round wasMythology’. Now Me and MYthology ?? Hahaha!
It was a buzzer round and I knew, my hand would never go to press it!

Questions started shooting. One by one. And to my surprise! And to everybody’s surprise, I pressed the buzzer 5 times in a row !!!! Venus was at the 1st position ! :)

Everybody present there was shell shocked ! For 1- The girl (me) never gave any answer in previous 3 rounds and 2-, people who knew me well, knew very well that I was worst at Mythology!
Then, how the hell is she giving all the answers??? I read every face and same question was displayed in all eyes , even my group mates’ !

The round was over and in the end we managed to win the contest!And I was the star of the show. Everybody clapped, our House Mistress came and hugged me ! everybody was very happy, except, obviously, the other groups!

When everythin was goin ever so perfect, the Captain of Jupiter House (name not mentioned, or he'll come to kill me today :) ) rose, and objected on our win (on mic). I somehow wished he was made to shut his mouth and sent back home or simpler(ly) the mic should be switched off but to my disgrace nothing of this happened.

He stood up and said,the quiz was fixed and she (pointing towards me) was told the questions beforehand!”
To which our Princi reciprocated, “have u gone nuts? The questions are kept very confidential and no one’s allowed to leak em.”

I, then, understood the matter, I walked down the stage to the Princi and said, Sir, I happened to study, maybe, probably, from the same book from which you all had set the questions for ‘mythology’. And that’s why…………but sir, thats sheer coincidence and I had no info that questions were being set up from the ‘bournvita book’ for mythology, infact I din even know that there was any round on ‘mythology' or any book called bournvita !!! "


He listened to me carefully. And in the end made an announcement to the audience to keep silence, went towards the staff, discussed the case and came back. I was gripped by fear…… I thought he wud abandon this quiz and declare another quiz with different group of students. In that case, they all would call me a cheater when the incidence was sheer CO-incidence, a matter of luck! (that day i realised the importance of two alphabets 'C and O' in 'coincidence'!! :) )

But to my fortune and their "missed-fortune", he kept the quiz valid and all objections were over-ruled !
The Venus house won the Quiz……And I was the star that day… and for few weeks that followed!

(at the end of the day) I thanked God for ending it on a good note (for me) and thanked Aunt for letting me have the book. :)
And then i went to sleep.... Zzzzzzzz! he he :) :)

Goodnight/day!

8 comments:

yash said...

still jealous abt u winning that quiz. hahaha

Ameya said...

I very clearly remember that quiz. And honestly to tell you, i was not expecting you to answer all those mythology questions although i never doubted you to be sitting there!!!!

Unknown said...

i was in that quiz too.. was with paro... same thing happened to me.. i mean we dint win, but i was asked questions i'd read the day b4, dumb luck....

Unknown said...

i was in that quiz too,, wid paro.. i was also asked the very same questions i'd read the night b4... sheer fucking luck... we dint win though,, unmgarffiti got the jackpot...

Unknown said...

hey...I had watched d quiz fm d audience side n remember it quit well...it was indeed a memorable event coz no one had ever ansed Que so easily n quickly in such a quiz..U ought to b d 'HERO' of d show!!!

The Instinct ! said...

hehe.. it was fun u kno? real fun..
n when i came bck to the class, in recess, ppl treated me as if i wre some sorta real genius n all, but now that i ve made this MANDATORY DISCLOSURE, to make them re-realise tat i m not any genius...:) my stars wer in great constellation then.

monica said...

to ameya,

even i din expect me to answer em. and that too Mythology!!!???

NO WAY!

i was just plain lucky!

Monica said...

Satya, which house u were in?