Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Beggar; Am I ???

Life sometimes plays a big joke with you and subjects you to some queer things/incidents.
One such incident-

I keep my pace quick while walking the Dadar station for certain reasons. I generally follow the tip of my nose and try to traverse the bridge as speedily as possible to avoid the scuttle and bustle with crowd, to avoid the stalking of vendors and ofcourse, the beseeching of beggars who just almost follow you like your school bag!

Once while crossing this bridge, a small boy (12-13yrs) stood in fronta me- “Didi, Didi kuch to de, Didi…” -while I was in all hurry, rushing to get a bus from outta station, my fav 43 no. bus, the only one from Dadar Station to place where I stay. And he –“Didi, paach rupaya dede, Didi” and I was so astonished to hear “paach rupaya” said so bluntly!!!

I explored my pocket to find some chillar, got a 2rupee coin and handed over to him.
Says- “Didi, paach!” I was again surprised at his demand.

Irritated coz of the terminally boring day in college and tensed of forthcoming exams, rubbing the wrong way and infuriated, I said in frustration- “Yaar, Nahi hai paach rupaya!” (now I regret why I said it :)

In response to which he restored the 2rupee coin in my hand and said “Didi, nahi hai to tu hi rakhle!”

I was aghast, surprised, shocked but most of all, I was bemused at his gesture. For 2 moments I felt like a beggar. Now, when I recall, the Puzzle perplexes me enough to smirk it out and wonder at the guts of the boy!

It only makes me recall the proverb in marathi-
‘Khaeen tar tupashi, nahitar upashi!’

Hehe..
Goodnight/Day!